This is probably one of the very few things I knew how to cook before I got married. The only thing I could offer to cook when my mum would be sick or down with a cold.
Growing up in Karachi, I fell in love with a very unusual combination. We used to get Chicken corn soup (with chicken and corn both missing in action) in our school canteen during the winter months and would gulp it down with loads and loads of Slims (the BEST chili chips EVER!) I still carve that and when I get my hands on Slims, I often make this soup, just to relive those memories!So here it is, the desi version of the corn soup which is super simple to make. I do a lot of andaaza, taste it on the go and adjust but will try to give you some specific quantities.
Chicken Corn Soup (Desi Style) Download Recipe Card
Serves 4-5 persons
- 500 gm Chicken (with bones)
- 2.5 litre Water
- 1-inch piece of Ginger
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 2-3 tbsp Vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 can of Cream Style Corn (approx. 150 gm)
- 5-6 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 Egg
- Boil chicken with the garlic, ginger and salt and when the chicken is done, take everything out from the stock and continue cooking on medium heat.
- Dissolve the cornflour in a little bit of water and add to the stock. Keep stirring so there are no lumps of corn flour. Adjust quantity for the right consistency.
- Add the shredded chicken and cream style corn to it.
- Add a beaten egg to it slowly. (People usually just add egg white, but I don’t miss any opportunity to sneak in goodness in my kids’ food and frankly it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference to me either)
- Season with salt, pepper, vinegar and soy sauce and that’s it!
Enjoy this hearty warm soup with your family.
For me, having this soup with Slims is the best form of comfort food.
For more recipes, check out My Recipe Book