This is a really special and popular recipe from my mom’s recipes. Growing up, whenever there was a one dish in our family, my mom was asked to make mutton stew (ALWAYS!). It was also my father’s favorite dish, so the first time he came to Doha, I made this for him and he couldn’t believe that I made it! 🙂 It took a lot of convincing for him to believe that I made it. (If you are wondering why we had to convince him.. Here’s why). So here is the recipe for you guys..
Serves about 3-4 people Download Recipe Card
- 500 gm Mutton
- 500 gm Onions (sliced)
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 125 gm Yogurt
- 5 Dried Red Chilies (Whole)
- 4-5 Cloves (Laung)
- 10 Black Pepper (Whole – Kali Mirch)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 1 Big Cardamom (Bari Illaichi)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1-2 Medium Tomatoes
- 3-4 tbsp. Oil
- Fry onions till they turn pink.
- Add mutton, ginger, garlic, cardamom, cumin, black pepper, red chilies , cloves, salt and tomatoes and fry for a few minutes.
- Put 2 cups water and let it cook (covered) until the meat becomes tender.
- When only little water is left add yogurt and cook until the water dries and the oil separates form the gravy.