This is an ancestral recipe from my Mum’s family and an all time favorite….specially in summer… My mum used to make it with Potatoes, Carrots, Okra (bhindi -that is fried and added to the gravy) and even Eggs (boiled of course). It is super easy and yummy veggie meal.
Dahi Ke Aaloo
Serves 2-3 persons
- 1 Medium Onion (pureed)
- 250 gm. Potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-2 inch cubes)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Paste (or Powder)
- 1 tsp. Ginger Paste (or Powder)
- 1/2 tsp. Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Red Chili Powder (Lal Mirch)
- 1 tsp. Cumin (Zeera)
- 1/2 cup Yogurt (Dahi)
- Fry zeera in oil and then add the onion paste, garlic, ginger, chili, turmeric powder and salt and fry for a few minutes on medium flame.
- Put 1/2 cup water and then cover and let it cook covered, on low heat. When the water dries, sauté (or bhoono in Urdu) the curry and then when the oil comes up , add potatoes.
- Put around 1.5 cups water and let it cook on low heat (covered), till the potatoes are done and the gravy is the right consistency.
- Add yogurt and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with chapatti for a light summer meal.
Check out my other recipes HERE