This is one of my mum’s recipes – a very simple but delicious vegan dish. As summer approaches, I really don’t feel like eating meat and make a lot of sabzi daal... So here it is, my mum’s recipe of Aaloo Baingan (Potatoes and Eggplants)
Aaloo Baingan Download Recipe Card
Serves about 2-3 persons
- 250 gm. Baingan (EggPlant)
- 250 gm. Tomatoes
- 200 gm. Potatoes
- 4-5 Whole Dried Red Chilies
- 1 tsp. Zeera (Cumin seeds)
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Haldi (Turmeric Powder)
- 2-3 – Green Chilies
- 2 tbsp – Fresh Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 3-4 tbsp – Oil
- Put zeera, mustard seeds and whole red chillies and fry for a couple of minutes. Then add tomatoes, turmeric, red chilli powder and salt and let it cook covered on low heat
- Cook it till the oil comes up and the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the cubed potatoes with 1/2 cup water and let it cook covered till potatoes are soft (but not fully cooked, as they will cook more with the eggplant as well)
- Add the cubed eggplant to it and cover and cook on low heat. (Do not add any water)
- When the eggplant and the potatoes are done, garnish it with coriander and green chillies.
Enjoy with daal and chapati/boiled rice.
For more recipes, check out My Recipe Book
3 thoughts on “Recipe Of The Week – Aaloo Baingan”
In the picture it lis oks like Fenugreek seeds (methi) but in the recipe it says Mustard (rai)…will it make a difference?
I keep interchanging if I don’t have one.. should be Mustard though.. didn’t have it 🙂
I removed that pic, to not confuse people. Thanks for pointing out 🙂