My mum doesn’t like seafood and never really cooked prawn masala because of my dad’s cholesterol issues…. So this doesn’t come from her.. This is one recipe I can say is mine (YES!!!). To be fair, its not a work of my imagination as well.. but a few recipes I saw here and there and tried and failed and adjusted.. added something… and THIS is how it evolved and now qualifies to be posted here. (Trust me…I don’t put a recipe here until I LUVVE the results!). So do try it out!
Serves about 2-3 people. Download Recipe Card
- 500 g Prawns (Peeled, Deveined and without tails – I use the frozen medium/large size ones, because they shrink a lot when they cook)
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Onion (sliced)
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger Paste (or Powder)
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Paste (0r Powder)
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp. Dry Meethi
- 2 tbsp. Yogurt
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder (haldi)
- 1/4 tsp Zeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/4 tsp. Chaat Masala
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. Ginger (julienned)
- 1 tsp. Green chili (sliced)
- 1 tsp. Fresh Coriander
Marinade for prawns
- 4 tbsp. Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Tikka Masala (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. Ginger Paste (or Powder)
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Paste (0r Powder)
- Marinate the prawns in Vinegar, Tikka Masala and Ginger Garlic paste and set aside for 1-2 hours.
- Fry onions in oil, till they turn light pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste, salt, red chili powder, zeera, turmeric, yogurt, meethi, tomatoes and 1/4 tsp. of garam masala (the other 1/4 tsp. will be used later).
- Fry and then cover and cook on low heat till the tomatoes are done and the oil comes up.
- Drain prawns and throw away the marinade. Add the prawns to the pot and simmer it for 15 minutes.
- Then increase the heat so the gravy thickens to the right consistency (the shrimps will leave a lot of water, and you don’t want to over cook the prawns so you need to dry the masala quickly).
- Put on low heat again and cover so the oil comes up.
- Add the lemon juice, chaat masala and the other 1/4 tsp. of garam masala now.
- Garnish with ginger, green chilies and coriander.
- Serve with Naan and ENJOY! (BUT with someone who doesn’t have a high cholesterol level 😉