This is one of the easiest dishes to cook and one of my kids’ favorites in Desi food. This is again a recipe that I just tried out myself as I was bored of cooking the same chicken dishes(Qorma, Karhai, Nihari etc. etc.) over and over (and OVER) again! The inspiration of this dish goes back to my university days… I remember my friend’s mum used to cook for us when we used to be over at her place for projects and study (Read FUN !) sleepovers :). I always wanted to ask her for the recipe but wasn’t really interested in cooking in those days , so never got around to actually asking her. So one day I just decided to try to recreate that dish… I just added the chutney (I usually make for raita) in the chicken and it turned out quite nice. Since that day, it has become quite famous with my kids as “Green Chicken”.. and hence the name 🙂 (Not too creative here eh?).
Serves 3-4 people Download Recipe Card
- 500 gm. Chicken
- 1 tsp. Ginger Paste (or Powder)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Paste(or Powder)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
For the Chutney
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 cup Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1-2 Green Chilies (You can vary this depending on how spicy you like)
- 1 tsp. Zeera (Cumin seeds- crushed)
- 2-3 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Liquidize all the ingredients of the chutney together and make a paste. You might need to add a little water to be able to liquidize it.
- In a pot, fry the chicken pieces in oil with ginger and garlic paste for a few minutes and then add this chutney to it.
- Cover and cook on medium heat till the chicken becomes tender.
- Dry the extra water for the right consistency (its usually on the drier side) and then cover it and let is simmer so the oil comes up. And…………Done! (THATS IT! Really!)
I told you, the EASIEST chicken recipe EVER! and its very yummy too! Try it and you will not regret trying it.. And one more thing… suggest a cool(er) name for it ;).
Until next time! Ciao!