Remember the Halwa you get with the Halwa Poori Nashta back home?? Now you can make that AT home!(Yes!!! exactly the same!) This is the recipe from an actual Halwai (the Sweet makers back home). This recipe is Shireen Anwer’s and my mum and I tried it for the first time and it was exactly how I remembered it in Pakistan! The texture, the taste.. everything!!!! Another MUST TRY!
Serves about 5-6 persons (it totally depends on who’s eating! )
- 1 Cup Semolina (Sooji)
- 2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Oil/Ghee
- 4 Crushed Small Cardamoms (Chotee Illaichi)
- 1/8 tsp. Food Color
- 1 Drop Kewra Essence
- Almonds and Pistachios
- In a pan, add sugar and the (3 cups) water and the food color and cook till the sugar dissolves to make the sheera (that’s it! DONOT over cook it to make it thick.. Just to dissolve the sugar). Remove it from the stove.
- In a seperate wok, heat oil and fry crushed cardamoms for a couple of minutes. Then add Sooji and fry till it just starts to give that aroma of sooji. (DONOT overcook it to try make it change color. It should not change color).
- Then add the sheera (we made in step 1) to it and cook for 3-4 minutes (Maximum of 4 minutes.. put a timer on or watch the time..do whatever but DO NOT cook for more than 4 minutes). It will be very liquid-y but do not worry about that! Trust me!
- Remove from the heat (VERY IMPORTANT!), put kewra and cover it. Let it sit for about half an hour- the sooji will expand and it will become the right consistency(It WILL… trust me! 🙂 )
- Garnish with nuts and enjoy the perfect ‘Halwai wala Sooji Halwa’ with the Pooris. (though you don’t get nuts in the halwai one 😉 )
Click here for other related recipes of the Halwa Poori Nashta.