This is probably the easiest Chicken Pulao recipe ever..and it turns out great too! This is from the Recipe Book I got as a wedding gift from my cousins (Read here about it). This is a pulao recipe that doesn’t involve the long yakhni making .. and yet tastes so good!
In our family, Pulao has to be accompanied with Zarda (recipe coming soon). My husband found it odd initially that we mix Pulao and Zarda together and then eat.. and now he loves it so much that he NEEDS zarda with his pulao.. so does my daughter..
Serves 3-4 persons Download Recipe Card
- 500 gm. Chicken pieces (skinless)
- 2 Cups Rice (Presoaked for half an hour)
- 1/4 Cup Cooking Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (Sliced)
- 1 tsp. Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp. Garlic Paste
- 2.5 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Zeera
- 5 Cloves (Laung)
- 3 Cardamoms (Chotee Illaichi)
- 1 Black Cardamom (Bari Illaichi)
- 1 Small Cinnamon stick
- 6 Whole Black Peppers (Sabot Kali Mirch)
- 3.5 Cups Water
- Orange Food Coloring (Optional – I don’t use it though)
- Fry the onion slices in oil till light golden brown.
- Put in the chicken pieces and stir fry it in in ginger garlic paste ,till the chicken turns white.
- Put in all the rest of the spices and fry for 5 more minutes, adding a very little water so that the chicken doesn’t burn and cover and cook till the chicken is tender.
- Put around 3.5 cups of water bring it to a boil.
- Put in the soaked rice (make sure you drain all the water before).
- Cook on medium-high flame (not covered) initially till the water has evaporated and then leave to cook on very low flame (covered) for about 15 minutes or till the rice is done completely.
- Serve with raita, salad and kabab or if you are like our family.. with Zarda 🙂
Try it out! Till next time..