Chicken Karhai- One of the very common recipes in every desi household.. They are so many ways of making Chicken Karhai .. (I make it three ways.. my mom’s recipe, my sister in law’s recipe and this dhabba style one..). This recipe is from the cook book that my cousins gave me for my wedding.. (read here all about the hilarious disclaimer on it!). I tweaked with the recipe a bit and added a few of my own ingredients..
This is such an easy recipe and tastes like the authentic dhabba style! I make it using mutton as well.. just requires more cooking time and some added water to make the meat tender.Dhabbay Walee Chicken Karhai
Serves 2-3 persons Download Recipe Card
- 500 gm. Chicken
- 1 tsp. Ginger Paste (or Powder)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Paste (or Powder)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly Crushed Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 3-4 Tomatoes (Medium sized)
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- 1 tsp. Ginger (Julienned)
- 1 tsp. Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 2-3 tbsp. Oil
- Ginger and Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Fry the chicken pieces in a wok (Karhai), with ginger and garlic paste for a few minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add black pepper powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, salt, tomatoes and half of the julienned ginger. DO NOT add water! Cover it and cook on low – medium heat till the chicken becomes tender.
- If the chicken is tender and there is still a lot of gravy.. I usually fish out the chicken pieces so it doesn’t get over cooked and fall off the bones..Cook the gravy to the right consistency and then add the chicken pieces back in.
- Add green chilies, coriander, and the julienned ginger and let it cook for a few more minutes.
- Garnish and serve with naan and some raita!
Hungry yet?? Give it a try!