Whenever we visit Karachi, this is one of the things on my TO EAT list. (haha!! Yes, I do have a TO EAT list too.. not just the TO DO list! 🙂 ). I am sure everyone who lives outside of their hometown has one! If not, you need to make one, next time you go back! This list consists of the Karachi food, that I miss and can’t find the same taste here in Doha.. Haye.. I crave for these with ‘shaam ki chai’ so much! *sigh*
So this Ramzan, I looked at different recipes,to make these at home… (because I love them too much!) It’s makes a great iftar item! I came across various different versions and tinkered with them to get the ‘taste of nostalgia’. Here is my version, of as close I could get to Pakistani bakery wale Chicken Patties.
When I asked my husband for his feedback.. he was like.. the only thing that is different is,that this one has WAY too much chicken filling as compared to what u get from the Pakistani bakery.. LOL!
Makes about 15 -18 approx. Download Recipe Card
- 250 gm. Boneless Chicken (boiled and shredded)
- 1/2 inch piece of Ginger
- 2 cloves of Garlic
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. Butter
- 2 tbsp. Flour (Maida)
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 Egg (beaten, for egg wash)
- Puff Pastry Sheets ( as needed)
- Boil the chicken with some salt and ginger and garlic. Cool and shred.
- In a pan, heat the butter( on medium heat), add the onions to it and fry them till the turn pink.
- Then add salt and black pepper (don’t worry if it looks like a lot of pepper .. trust me, it will turn out just fine!). Add the flour and sauté it for a few minutes, then add the milk.
- Add the chicken to it and mix. You might need to add more milk for the right thick consistency.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down. DO NOT use it while its hot.
- I use the ready made, frozen puff pastry sheets. Just thaw them for about half an hour before use.(If I forget to do that.. I spread them out individually on a plate and microwave for 15-20seconds).Dust the surface with flour and lay out the pastry sheets.
- For one patty, cut 3 circles of the same size, with a cookie cutter.Lay them on a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Place the first circle, brush it with egg and put the chicken filling on it(I used about 1tbsp.. use less if you want exactly like the bakery ones 😉 ).
- Then place the second circle on top of it and brush it with the egg.
- Then place the third circle on top of the second circle (no filling in this layer), make an imprint with a smaller circular cutter and then egg wash the top again.
- Gently press it down from the ends, to close it.. but not actually seal it..
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Centigrade for about 20-30 minutes or until it gets golden brown.
Serve hot with ketchup for some AWESOME-NESS!
For more of my recipes.. click HERE.