This is probably the easiest way of making Murgh Cholay… and this recipe is a brainchild of my elder sister. She is an amazing cook! Growing up, she was always interested in cooking.. always in kitchen helping Ammi (mom) or trying a new recipe… (unlike me who never stepped in the kitchen!). Now, she is at a level where she just stirs up a recipe by herself (and I still need precise instructions! lol). So this is her very own easy peasy recipe of yummy Murgh Cholay!
Murgh Cholay (Chicken Cholay)
Serves 2-3 persons
- 500 gm Chicken
- 1 small Onion
- 3 tbsp Yogurt
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tbsp Shan Haleem Masala
- 1 can Chickpeas (Cholay)
- 2 tbsp Oil
For the Tadka/Baghar (Tempering)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 1 tsp Ginger (Julienned )
- 1 tsp Green Chilies (chopped)
- 1 tsp. Shan Haleem Masala
- 1 tsp Onion (sliced)
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- Fry onion till they turn golden brown
- Add chicken pieces and ginger garlic paste and fry together till they turn chicken turns a little white.
- Then add the Shan Haleem Masala and yogurt and cook it for a few minutes, till the oil separates from the gravy.
- Then empty the chickpeas can into the pot (including the water in the can).
- Cover it and cook on low- medium heat, until the chicken is done. You don’t need to add any additional water to it.
- When the chicken is cooked and the oil comes up, prepare the tadka in a small frying pan, turn the stove off.
- Fry the onions in oil.When they turn light brown add zeera to it and fry a bit more. When the onion is brown, then add ginger, green chillies and Shan Masala to it and fry for only a few seconds (you don’t want to burn the masala).
- Pour the tadka over your cooked chicken and chickpea salan and mix it together.
- Serve with Naan and enjoy!
Doesn’t that look delicious!
Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!
Do check out my Recipe Book for more recipes.