So here it is, the desi Sweet & Sour Chicken that Ammi used to make for us regularly. It’s super simple to make. I do a lot of andaaza, taste it on the go and adjust but will try to give you some specific quantities.
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Serves 3-4 persons
- 500 gm Chicken (boneless cut into cubes)
- 1 Cup Onions (cubed)
- 1 Cup Bell Pepper/Capsicum (cubed)
- 1/4 Cup Spring Onion (cubed)
- Oil (preferably Sesame Oil)
For the Chicken Marination
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 2-3 tbsp Vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1-2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 2-3 tbsp Corn Flour
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Marinate the chicken with Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Corn Flour, Salt, and Black Pepper for at least 30 minutes.
- Shallow fry the chicken in small batches (to avoid crowding them in the pan) and let them cook on low heat. Once the chicken pieces are done and have turned golden brown, take them out and put aside.
- In the same pan, fry some garlic and then stir fry the Onions and Capsicum on high flame for a couple of minutes and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry the chopped garlic till they turn golden brown.
- Add ketchup, soy sauce vinegar, and sugar. Adjust the sourness (vinegar) & sweetness (sugar) of the sauce according to your taste. You can add chili falkes to it as well if you like it a bit spicy.
- Let it cook till the sauce darkens a bit and then add the chicken stock to it to increase the quantity of the sauce and use the cornflour paste to thicken this sauce.
- Toss in the pan-fried chicken and the stir-fried vegetables into the sauce.
- Garnish with some chopped spring onions and serve with steamed or Chinese fried rice.
For more recipes, click HERE