Kheer (Rice Pudding) is a traditional Pakistani dessert which also happens to be one of Mr. Incredible’s favorites (and hence I make it quite often). This kheer recipe is my grandmother’s (My mum’s aunt) who was undeniably “The Best Cook” in our family. Here is her recipe for you guys..
Serves about 6-7 people (depends on who’s eating 😛 )
- 2 Liter Whole Milk
- 150 gm Rice
- 250 gm Sugar
- 4 Small Cardamoms (Illaichi)
- 1/2tsp Kewra
- Almonds & Pistachios (Half Chopped, Half Crushed)
1. Put milk on stove with the crushed cardamoms & keep mixing until it boils.
2. After it boils put soaked rice in it and keep mixing till the milk boils again.
3. Now decrease the flame and let it cook for 5 to 6 hours at least. The color will become a little pinkish as it cooks.4. When it gets thick then blend it & add sugar, kewra and the crushed nuts. Cook for half an hour more.
5. Pour it in your serving dish ( it will not be very thick now due to the added sugar) and decorate with the remaining nuts.
I absolutely love kheer in the traditional clay pots (back home), but since I don’t have them here in Doha, I use these small glasses for individual servings. This recipe would yield about 12-14 cups like these.
Have a sweet winter break! xoxo