This recipe is from a site that I find very interesting and has some awesome recipes.. Its called Fauzia’s Kitchen Fun and the first time I tried this chicken bread, it turned out just perfect! Its originally a Shirin Anwer Recipe. It’s a new favorite in the our home now.. You absolutely MUST MUST try this!
3 Medium Loafs ( Or loads of Baby Loafs) Download Recipe Card
Ingredients for Dough:
- 4 cups Plain/all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. Instant yeast
- 2 tbsp. Powdered milk
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 4 tbsp. Oil
- 1 Egg (plus one for glazing)
- 1 tsp. Castor sugar
- Sesame seeds (to sprinkle)
Ingredients for Chicken Filling:
1 1/2 – 2 cups Chicken boiled and shredded
2 small Onions (finely chopped)
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Black pepper
2 tbsp. Coriander leaves
4 Green chilies (chopped)
1 tsp. Garam masala powder
2 tbsp. Flour
2 tbsp. Butter
1 cup Milk
Directions for Chicken Filling:
- Heat butter and fry onion till soft then add flour with salt, black pepper, and garam masala.
- Add the milk, cook till thick, mix in the shredded chicken add chopped green chilies and coriander leaves, remove and cool completely.
Directions for the Dough:
- In a bowl mix together 4 cups flour, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. castor sugar, 2 tbsp. milk powder, 1 tbsp. yeast, 4 tbsp. oil and 1 egg, knead to a medium soft dough with slightly warm water, leave to rise for at least 1 hour. (I normally leave it somewhere warm for about 3-4 hours). It normally rises from this much…
- Now divide the dough into two or three parts depending on what size loaves of chicken bread you want. ( I divide it into three) .
- Roll the dough to a rectangular shape, snip the sides with scissors or a knife, put filling in the center and fold each side so they overlap each other (like a braid).
- When you reach the end leave a tail at the botton or just tuck it in neatly.
- Grease a baking tray and place your breads. Brush top with beaten egg, sprinkle sesame seeds and bake in a preheated oven at 200 degree C for 25 minutes or until done.
- Right after taking out of the oven apply butter well on whole bread and let it rest covered with a cloth/foil for 2-3 minute to soften the bread completely.
And serve!!!! It is just Yummy!!! Writing this post has made me hungry!!! And you know what.. you can make it in baby size too! My kids love to take it in their school lunch boxes. (check the tip from Fauzia that I have tried and tested at the end of the post on how to do that)
Tip : I always make a batch of baby chicken bread and then wrap them well in cling film or foil, then put them in some sort of a cellophane bag and tie it up tight and freeze. They can keep up to 4 weeks! When you need one, you just thaw it out overnight in the fridge or keep it out on the counter until it’s thawed out, then unwrap and zap it in the micro for a minute or so until it warms up, and then splash a little bit of water using your fingertips on it and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes to freshen it back up. Becomes as good as new! :)Perfect for lunch boxes!