Wanna try a different chicken recipe? This is my mother in law’s wonderful recipe.. she is an amazing cook! ( and I am not saying to gain any brownie points 😉 ). Anyone who has ever had her food would agree!. I am truly blessed to have two wonderful cooks (my mother and mother in law) to inherit all these lovely recipes from, that I now share with you guys.
So, Lemon chicken was a new thing for me when I got married .. we never had anything like that in our family recipes…And I must tell you that eating it for the first time was like ‘Love At First Bite’ ;). I got the recipe from my mum in law and the first time I cooked this for my family …the lemon chicken craze spread like wild fire …. I got requests for this recipe from so many people .. from my aunts, to cousins to friends. (p.s. there are still some who are waiting for it and I told them it will be up on the blog soon! 😛 ). So here it is for you guys .. sharing my mum in law’s famous lemon chicken.
Serves about 3-4 people
- 500 gm. Chicken
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 tsp. Ginger (julienned)
- 1 tsp. Garlic Paste (or Powder)
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1/2 tsp. Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Coriander Powder (Dhanya)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 10 Whole Black Pepper (Kali mirch)
- 1 Lemon (big)
- 2 Tomatoes
- 2-3 Green Chilies
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Coriander leaves (I save some for later for garnishing)
- 2 -3 tbsp. Oil
- Fry onions in oil till golden brown. Then add black pepper and cumin seeds.
- Add chicken, ginger, garlic and fry for a few minutes. Then add turmeric, red chili powder, salt, coriander powder and tomatoes and cook covered on low heat till the chicken is tender.
- Then add the lemon slices, green chilies and coriander leaves and cover and cook for another 10 minutes. The lemon will soften and give a wonderful flavor and aroma to the chicken.
- That’s it! Done! Serve and enjoy with Naan/Roti.
Try it and I bet you will love it! Don’t forget to let me know how it turns out when u try! Till Next time.. Ciao!