This is my all time favorite vegan recipe. I hated eating vegetables as a kid.. I think the only vegetable I ate were potatoes. So my mum played a lil trick on me and not only did it fall for her trick, I also fell in love with this beetroot and tomato recipe.
It’s quite a silly story, but my mum sold the idea of eating beetroot to me , by telling me that if I will eat this, my cheeks will turn pink (like all the pretty ladies in TV shows). So I tried and even liked it but my cheeks never turned pink! As I grew up, I realized that the pink cheeks were thanks to the Rosy Blush that they used to wear and not beetroots! The power of makeup rather than the power of beetroots!(LOL!)
I figured it out too late, and had already fallen for the the taste of my mum’s Chukandar Tamatar. I love it with plain boiled rice and here it is for you guys.
Chukandar Tamatar (Beetroot with Tomatoes)
Serves 3-4 persons
- 500 gm Chukandar (Beetroot – peeled and cut into thin strips like french fries)
- 500 gm Tomatoes
- 1 tsp. Cumin Seeds (Zeera)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 3-4 tbsp. Oil
- 3-4 Green chillies (whole)
- 3 tbsp. Coriander leaves (Hara dhanya)
- Fry zeera in oil for a few minutes.
- Put chukandar, tomatoes, salt and 1/2 cup water and cook covered on low-medium heat.
- When the chukandar is soft and done, increase the stove to dry the water and let the oil separate from it.
- Add chopped haradhanya and whole green chilies and then close the stove.
- Garnish with haradhanya and green chillies. Serve with boiled rice or with daal and chapati.
I just love it with plain rice. Try it and let me know how you prefer it?
For my other recipes, check out my Recipe Book