This is another item on my “To Eat” List, when I go to Karachi. Though,we do have Nandos here, but Peri Bites is not on their menu.. so another thing I wanted to recreate at home, to satisfy my desi taste buds.
For people, who don’t know what I am talking about… these are delicious spicy jalapenos filled with chicken and cheese , coated in breadcrumbs for a fantastic crispy crunchy finish. The filling for these can be basically, whatever you like.. Makes an amazing appetizer and a spicy addition to the Iftar menu.
This recipe is a combination of various recipes that I tried and tested and altered to my liking. You can go wild with your imagination, for the stuffing 🙂
Makes 10-12 Peri Bite Download Recipe Card
- 10-12 Jalapeno Peppers
- 2 tbsp. Vinegar
- 1 Chicken Breast (Cooked and Shredded/Cut into thin strips)
- 2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. Peri Peri Sauce (I use the mild one.. or any other seasoning sauce you like)
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1 tsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp. shredded Mozzarella or Cheddar (or both .. or you can use cream cheese like Kiri as well)
- 1 Cup Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 Cup Flour (Maida)
- 1 tbsp. Corn flour
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- Wash and slit open the jalapenos (or any huge chilies). Remove the strings and seeds from inside carefully, then rinse and soak them in water and vinegar… and set aside. (My Mum’s TIP: To avoid the burning sensation in your hands because of this de-seeding procedure, rub some cooking oil on your hands before handling the chilies.. it will prevent the chili from burning your fingers later.. !)
- Mix the cooked shredded chicken (I used boiled chicken, but you can marinate the chicken in peri peri sauce, ginger, garlic and grill it) with the rest of the filling ingredients and stir until combined. Stuff this mixture into the chilies and put the stuffed jalapenos on a plate and pop them into the freezer for about half an hour.
- To start coating, prepare 3 dishes…. One with the flour (Maida and Corn Flour)seasoned with some salt and pepper, second with the beaten eggs, and third with the breadcrumbs.
- Dip the slightly frozen chilies first in the flour mixture, then the egg and then the crumbs. You can repeat dipping in egg and crumbs for a thicker and crispier coating.
- I fried half of the Peri bites in Oil and half of them in my new Air Fryer (Its frying WITHOUT Oil!) and TRUST me.. the air fried ones were as awesome AND the best part – guilt free! I’ll show you the results of both the cooking methods.
Cooking Method :Deep Fried
- Fry on medium heat until golden and crisp. Put them on some paper towel to drain the excess oil.
Cooking Method : Air Fried
- Place the jalapenos in the air fryer and cook at 180 degrees C for 5-6 minutes. You can totally skip using any oil, but I did spray them( very lightly ) with a cooking spray, so they look nice and golden..
Serve them hot, with ketchup, Peri Peri sauce , honey mustard sauce or any other dipping sauce you like!
There was hardly any difference in the crispiness of the Peri bites.. and since this experiment.. I have just been air frying them! My cousin introduced me to it and I am loving my air fryer ever since. (Trust me, I am in NO way getting paid for this FREE advertisement of the Philips Air fryer.. am just sharing my love for it, with all of you! )
Check out my other Recipes HERE. Until next time!