A regular feature at Iftar tables at any Pakistani household! It’s such a simple and healthy snack! There are many variations of Cholay (or Channa Chat). Some people enjoy it as is, while many mix it with Dahi baras (I love doing that!). I also recently tried a different version with yogurt only (no baras or boondi) and will share the recipe of the Mixed Chaat Papri next!
I make the chutneys in advance and always have them in stock in the fridge (specially the Tamarind one!), and then it just takes literally 15 minutes to get this yum snack ready!
Channa Chaat Download Recipe Card
Makes 2 servings
- 1 can Chickpeas
- 1 medium Potato (cubed and boiled with salt)
- 1 medium Tomatoe (chopped)
- 1 small Onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 2-3 Green Chilies (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp Bhuna Zeera Powder (Roasted Cumin Seeds Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Chaat Masala (or to taste)
- 3-4 tbsp of Sweet Tamarind Chutney (Recipe here)
- 3-4 tbsp of Green Chutney (Recipe here)
- Papri to garnish (If you don’t have papri, you can fry some Samosa sheets to use as Papri)
- The canned chickpeas are ready to eat but I find them a bit hard for the Channa Chaat so I cook them more for about 15 minutes.
- Mix all the vegetables with the boiled chickpeas.
- Mix in the chutneys and season it with zeera powder and chaat masala
- Garnish with Onion rings, Papri and some more chutney and enjoy!