Confession: The name makes me feel very “Aunty-ish”! (lol don’t judge me!).. that’s what my mom said its called.. though we always knew it as “Aam Ki Meethi Chatnee” (Sweet Mango Chatnee). There is a reason why its called Nauratan Chatnee cause it has 9 ingredients! (Ofcourse!)
This is an absolute favorite in our family.. one of my mom’s ancestral recipes that is a MUST try and I never knew it was that easy to make! (until very recently when I learnt it!). It goes so well with Daal Bhari Roti, Meithi ke koftay or with Daal Chawal!
Makes about 1 small Jar Download Recipe Card
- 250 gm. Kairis (Raw Mangoes- Shredded)
- 250 gm. Sugar
- 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. heaped Kalonji (Nigella seeds)
- 1 tsp. heaped Ginger (Julienned)
- 1 tsp. heaped Garlic (Chopped roughly)
- 1/2 tsp. heaped Zeera (Cumin seeds)
- 3-4 Whole Dried Red Chilies (Chopped roughly)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Mix all the ingredients in a pot
- Put it on the stove and boil for 10 minutes (It will be a little liquid-y but that’s okay cause it will get thicker when it cools. Also do not over cook or it will get brownish)
- Remove from the stove and let it cool and then store in air tight container.
- That’s IT!
Note: The kairis I used, were not very raw/sour and hence didn’t require even 10 minutes of cooking.