Here is a recipe of Zarda which is really easy to make and doesn’t end up with stiff /sticky rice. I found this recipe on a website called Desi Cook Book and ever since, haven’t made Zarda any other way! This is my daughter’s absolute favorite! Also in our family Pulao (check the recipe here) is always accompanied by the Zarda.. we mix it together and eat it.
Serves 3-4 persons
- 250 gm. Rice (pre-soaked for about 1/2 an hour)
- 250 gm. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Food Color
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 3-4 Small Cardamom (Choti Illaichi)
- 2-3 Cloves (Laung)
- A couple of drops Kewra Essence
- Dry Fruits (Raisins, Pistachios, Almonds etc.) for garnishing
- Khoya (optional)
- Soak rice for half an hour
- Boil water, add color, 1 cardamom & 1 clove. When water boils add rice and when rice is fully cooked, drain the rice.
- In oil, fry 2 cloves and 3 cardamoms on low heat.
- Now add layers of rice and sugar (rice goes first and I usually do 3 layers of rice and sugar).
- Cover and cook on low heat for a few minutes, the sugar will melt..
- Mix gently and add dry fruits and kewra and khoya. Serve with Pulao or just as a dessert.