If you are from Karachi, you would probably know about the very famous “Kolachi Restaurant” -One of the most famous and gorgeous restaurants in Karachi..
I had this at my cousin’s place (she’s a foodie ,a great cook who keeps trying new recipes…) who told me she got the recipe from a facebook group.. I loved it so much, I had to get the recipe and try .. and THIS is my first attempt at it. It turned out AH-MAZING! Its 99% close to the Kolachi’s Chicken Paneer Reshmi Handi. Super Easy and Super Yummy! A MUST try!
Chicken Reshmi Handi
Serves 2 persons
- 250 gm. Boneless Chicken (cut in strips/small pieces)
- 1 tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder (Dhanya)
- 1 tsp. Cumin (Zeera, Crushed)
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper Powder (Freshly grounded)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 Medium Onion (thick slices)
- 1 Capsicum (thick slices)
- 3-4 Green Chilies (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 125 gm. Cream (I use cooking cream)
- 1 heaped tbsp. Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- a piece of Coal (for dhooni)
- Heat oil and add the chicken pieces along with ginger and garlic paste and fry for a few minutes, till it turns white (on medium heat).
- Add the salt, coriander powder, black pepper, cumin and garam masala powder. And let the chicken fry in the masalas for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the onions, capsicum and chilies, 1/2 cup water , butter and lemon juice and cook covered on low heat till the chicken becomes tender. Don’t dry out the chicken too much. Remove from heat.
- Give it dhooni.(Burn a piece of coal, put it on a foil and add a couple of drops of oil on it and close the lid.. by the way..the lid of my pot is a glass lid.. you can see all the smoke in there! ) Leave it for about at least 10 minutes.( I left it till I had to serve it). This will give a lovely smoked aroma.
- When you want to serve it, heat the chicken on low heat and add cheese, chili flakes and allow it to melt. Then add cream and remove from heat.
- Serve with naan and Enjoy!
Let me know how it turns out!
Check out my other recipes Here.
24 thoughts on “Recipe Of The Week: Kolachi Ki Reshmi Handi”
Thanks for the recipe. Btw I am a Kolachi fan and will love to try this out. Please share some new Iftaar recipes too.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Sure InshaAllah soon! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Looks so delicious. Trying it today إن شاء الله
I made it n it turned out so delicious. 😋my husband loved it. Great work👍
I am glad! 🙂
It turned out super delicious .Absolutely perfect to earn highly good comments and appreciations.
That’s great!! Thank you for your feedback.. It’s comments like these that make all my hard work worthwhile! Thank u!
Hi, this recipe of yours is a winner on dinning table. So easy to prepare and yet so delicious.
Be prepared to pass on the recipie to your friends and family cause this is not getting ignored. Highly recommended !!
Thank you so much for your feedback and recommendation!
The recipe was very simple to follow and turned out really well. Thanks a lot for sharing this treat with us.
I am glad you enjoyed it!
Hi I tried your recipe before and today making it again. So easy and tasty. Thank you for Sharing this recipe with us. 😋😋
Thanks for letting me know 🙂 I am glad you enjoyed it.
Can i use mozarella cheese instead of cheddar?
Superb! It turned out awesome. The only thing that I missed out was Koilay Kee Dhounee, but it still tasted divine
I am glad! The dhooni takes it to another level 🙂 try it the next time.
We tried your recipe and everyone loved it. Taste was amazing.
Thank you so much!
Easy recipe to follow
Thanks for sharing.
Its really informative blog. Thanks for sharing this post.
Everyone loved it. According to my husband we don’t have to go to Kolachi anymore
Absolutely stunning dish . Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe.
Is cooking cream same as heavy cream. In the US we only have regular heavy cream and whipping cream. Thank you in advance
This is the most amazingly perfect recipe that I’ve been following from last couple of years. Its a hot favorite with my friends and family. Have shared the recipe with many.