If you are from Karachi, you would probably know about the very famous “Kolachi Restaurant” -One of the most famous and gorgeous restaurants in Karachi..
I had this at my cousin’s place (she’s a foodie ,a great cook who keeps trying new recipes…) who told me she got the recipe from a facebook group.. I loved it so much, I had to get the recipe and try .. and THIS is my first attempt at it. It turned out AH-MAZING! Its 99% close to the Kolachi’s Chicken Paneer Reshmi Handi. Super Easy and Super Yummy! A MUST try!
Chicken Reshmi Handi
Serves 2 persons
- 250 gm. Boneless Chicken (cut in strips/small pieces)
- 1 tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder (Dhanya)
- 1 tsp. Cumin (Zeera, Crushed)
- 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper Powder (Freshly grounded)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tbsp. Butter
- 1 Medium Onion (thick slices)
- 1 Capsicum (thick slices)
- 3-4 Green Chilies (finely sliced)
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 125 gm. Cream (I use cooking cream)
- 1 heaped tbsp. Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- a piece of Coal (for dhooni)
- Heat oil and add the chicken pieces along with ginger and garlic paste and fry for a few minutes, till it turns white (on medium heat).
- Add the salt, coriander powder, black pepper, cumin and garam masala powder. And let the chicken fry in the masalas for about 3-4 minutes.
- Then add the onions, capsicum and chilies, 1/2 cup water , butter and lemon juice and cook covered on low heat till the chicken becomes tender. Don’t dry out the chicken too much. Remove from heat.
- Give it dhooni.(Burn a piece of coal, put it on a foil and add a couple of drops of oil on it and close the lid.. by the way..the lid of my pot is a glass lid.. you can see all the smoke in there! ) Leave it for about at least 10 minutes.( I left it till I had to serve it). This will give a lovely smoked aroma.
- When you want to serve it, heat the chicken on low heat and add cheese, chili flakes and allow it to melt. Then add cream and remove from heat.
- Serve with naan and Enjoy!
Let me know how it turns out!
Check out my other recipes Here.