Chicken Lollipops is an absolute favorite snack of my kids. Its such a fun way of having chicken wings.. My kids love the Indian style one, that they eat here in an Indian/ Hakka Chinese restaurant. Usually they are very spicy ( and therefore so red..) but I make a very mild version for my kids.
I made these and tricked my daughter, that I got them from a restaurant (which she likes…) and she totally bought my story! Later, when I told her that I made these at home.. she had a hard time believing that I could make these! So a total HIT with the kids!
I tried a couple of recipes and this is the recipe that got closest to the ones, that my daughter loves! This recipe is mainly Sanjeev Kapoor’s, with a few amendments (according to my taste).
Serves 3-4 persons Download Recipe Card
- 1 kg Chicken Wings (Made into lollipops – see instructions below)
- Spring onion for garnishing
- Oil for deep frying
For the Marinade:
- 2 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
For the Coating:
- 1 tbsp. Ginger (Chopped finely)
- 1 tbsp. Garlic (Chopped finely)
- 2 tbsp. Ketchup (Or red chili paste if you want it spicy)
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
- 1 Cup Flour (Maida)
- 1/2 Cup Corn Flour
- 2 Drops of Red Food Coloring (Optional)
- Clean the chicken wings, remove and discard the small tip of the wing and then split each wing at the joint to form the drummette piece and the flat piece. Each wing will therefore give you 2 lollipops.
- Take the drummette piece (the top part of the wing that looks like a small drumstick). With a small sharp knife, scrape the meat off the bone from the bottom, lifting and pulling it upwards so that the bone part is exposed and all the meat is bunched at the top. Repeat this with all the drummettes.
- Next take the flat piece (the middle part of the wing which has 2 small thin bones). Scrape the meat off the bone, rotate and pull the meat upwards. Then pull out the smaller of the two bones so that only one bone is left to make it resemble a lollipop. It will be a bit smaller than the drummette lollipop. Repeat will all the flat pieces.
- Marinate the lollipops in ginger garlic paste, salt, black pepper powder and soy sauce.
- Combine chopped ginger & garlic, red chili paste/ ketchup, flour, cornflour, salt and paprika in another bowl and mix well. Add little water and mix well with a whisk, till a thick batter is formed. I added the food coloring as well to make it look, exactly like the one in the restaurant (but that can be easily omitted and if you are using the chili paste, you won’t need the coloring at all!).
- Heat the oil in a deep pan ,roll the lollipop in the batter and deep fry them on medium heat (for about 10-15 minutes), so the chicken is cooked through. Drain the excess oil on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with some spring onions and serve hot.
Enjoy this yummy appetizer… until next time..Check my other recipes HERE.